Thursday, December 30, 2010

These Days...

In its latest iteration, the purpose of this blog was to offer me a place to write semi-creatively.  My academic life doesn't often offer that chance, of course.  I like the space to develop a less than rigorous thought, a space for musings rather than theories, and, seemingly, a place to be a sentimental ass.
These days, I've had the occasion to write even more creatively. Sometimes this writing takes the form of the limerick, the most reviled of poems. But it has also taken the form of quick and dirty short fiction, composed on demand, and on the fly. I'll spare you the details, but there is very little time for editing or even forethought in this particular type of writing.  It is closer to story telling than story writing.
This appeals to me greatly.
I was, the first time I tried this, quite pleased with the result, and furthermore, pleasantly surprised by well I seemed to do it. Subsequent attempts seem to bear out these impressions. I thought about it for some time, wondering if I had discovered a new ability (like my seeming ability to sew and quilt, also discovered, or rather, re-discovered, this holiday season).
I have decided that no, it is not a new ability at all. As a younger man, I often played role-playing games, specifically the venerable Dungeons & Dragons, and an integral part of such a game is the ability to create and flesh out narratives on the fly, and often in response to changing, sometimes random, variables.  It is in this crucible that I forged the ability to weave a tale on short notice.
I think maybe it has something to do with having found my muse, as well.
I argued with someone last night that the countless (nearly endless) hours I had spent were not, as my interlocutor suggested, wasted. I did not trot out this particular example in my defense, raising some vague point about creativity instead. I was not deeply engaged in the argument, and my opponent was a difficult person to argue with in any case.
Now, however, sitting, with time to really contemplate, I realize that the time was not wasted, that my ability to weave a story quickly is a real skill, and that it seemingly brings some small amount of joy to some people. This may be a small thing, but it pleases me to no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment