Saturday, January 1, 2011

"The slothful man saith, There is a lion without, I shall be slain in the streets"


"When we learn to tolerate boredom, we find out who we really are." - Naomi Alderman

I have made an effort, this holiday season, after a long semester, to relax. But, in a an active way. Not simply to do nothing, but to do nothing.  Relax. Admittedly, some of my relaxing involves doing things that enjoy, such as walking in the woods, cooking, or, a newly discovered past-time, sewing. But I have also be exploring, recently in general, not simply this holiday season, I have tried not to be afraid of boredom. To be bored, to truly do nothing and think nothing, engage in nothing, is not nearly so bad as many seem to think. I suppose, these sorts of ruminations depend, as does so much these days, on what one's definition of boredom actually is. Let's maybe, for the sake of argument, go with "Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them.", which I found on wikipedia. I like it. Inactivity. Uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them. This latter, I try to avoid, actually. I don't really see any reason not to be interested in ones surroundings, in the opportunities around one.
One one of the aforementioned walks, my mother and grandmother both commented on how my friends might not find my vacation to be very exciting. This was a concern of my mother's as well, this summer, as I spend the bulk of the vacation relaxing.  She worried about excitement. I suppose I understand where they are coming from, but in all honesty, I am quite content to relax, to walk in the woods, to enjoy the quiet moment my life here in the country offers me.
There is plenty of time for excitement. Now is the time to relax. Like it was a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment